Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Creativity and Self-esteem

September 16, 2009.

So, I did a few new things today. I had my first “business” meeting with my friend York today. She works with me at C's and we are both aspiring actresses. We have decided that we really want to kick our asses into gear and become successful. Our plan is to meet once a week, and have goals that we are supposed to have accomplished by the next meeting.

Since this was our first, we didn't have that much on our agenda. The first thing we decided to do was buy a book called, “The Six Pillars of Self-esteem” by Nathanial Branden. It was recommended by one of my acting coaches, because you can't really get anywhere in this business without Self-esteem. Now our goal is to read this book. I've started and just finished chapter one and yes, I do find that my self-esteem could be better...hopefully chapter 2 will help make it better! I'm not recommending the book just yet, I haven't read enough of it, but I'll keep you all posted!

Our meeting was productive. We both are at pretty much the same point and know that the next step for us is to have a reel (actor speak for short video that showcases the work you've done to send out to casting directors/agents/managers). This has been my goal all year and has been going rather slowly...so we've decided we're just gonna make it happen!

This entails us writing our own scenes, rehearsing them, staging them, finding someone to film them, edit them and then voila we have a reel! Simple...right? Well, we're gonna try to make it as simple as possible. I have faith in us!

After our meeting, I headed to class, which I haven't been to in two weeks, which felt like century. I just can't wait to dive right back in and get my ass kicked by my teacher again. Boy do I need that! (And there was absolutely no sarcasm whatsoever there, I promise!)

After class it was the usual, work, blah blah blah. But, I was very happy to be at work, seeing as I just spent over $200 on class and now am back to $0 in my bank account. Oh the life of a starving artist. I just keep thinking to the future and how sweet it will be when I'm getting those million dollar paychecks for my feature films! I just hope I don't ever take it for granted!

Another thing I decided on today was I need to start writing more. I used to be an avid reader and writer as a kid. They were my two favorite activities (I know...did someone scream dork??? Yes, I was a huge nerd, thick glasses and all). But my mom called me today and I get my writing skills from her. She's great and artistic and creative and everything I hope to be. She told me today that she wants to dedicate her mornings before work to writing and take it seriously like a second job so that maybe she can write enough to finish something worthwhile. She wants me to keep up my writing as well.

She doesn't know I blog. I just don't think she's ready for some of what I write about. But we made a deal that each week we are going to write something, anything, whatever we are inspired to write and then on Sunday Evening, we are going to send each other something we wrote that week.

I'm quite excited about this and I hope she sticks with it. Maybe this Sunday I'll have something that I wrote and something that she wrote and I'll share a bit with you all...if you're lucky!

Ok...stop reading and go do something creative!

1 comment:

  1. I love the writing every week and sharing it thing. What a great way to keep it up! I might take a cue from you.

    ReplyDelete