Monday, September 21, 2009

Follow Your Impulses.


September 21, 2009.

Hmm....something I did today that was new and exciting. Well, I auditioned for a reality matchmaking show. Which one? Well, I'm not at liberty to say, but I have high hopes that I might find my soulmate!

I also thought about, (and should have followed through) giving my number to the guy in the car behind me at the McDonald's drive through. I think next time I will do this. McDonald's was just too damn fast and didn't give me enough time to get my number written down. My solution? Business Cards. Done.

Alright, well, yesterday was Sunday and my mom got her homework assignment in on time. I neglected to meet the deadline and got my writing in this morning, but I still wrote...something. I'll post an excerpt from my mom's, it's a fun read:

Facebook Hippies.

“Baby Boomers have taken to Facebook like hippies to weed. They like to use it and like to share it with a group of friends. It is a frequent pastime, and nearly an addiction to many that are mid-, even post-, middle age. What’s the need being filled by Facebook for this group?

When life is closer to the end than the beginning, looking back is a natural thing to do. We are taking an assessment of where we are, how closely we’ve achieved the goals and dreams of our youth, and how we compare with other people.  Before Facebook, comparisons were limited to the friends, family, and former neighbors and classmates with whom we’d stayed in touch or had run into at the class reunion.  It was one of the main reasons to go to your class reunion. “See what’s become of” your old boyfriend, the class clown, and that girl whose family moved away the week after graduation. Look around and see who has aged more rapidly than you have, and be sure to take the camera!  Another important reason to get yourself to a reunion every 5 or 10 years was to brag. Show off your still-youthful figure. Introduce your handsome husband and break out the pictures of your adorable children.  Find a way to bring up your offspring’s accomplishments, awards, brilliance, and amazingly cute quips. Answer the question “What are you doing now?” with feigned humility as you puff up your résumé a bit (or a lot).  The traditional class reunion has always filled a real need in the hearts and minds of Americans as they emotionally process the decades passing.”

Let me know what you think and I promise, when I start writing things that I'm more proud to share I will share them! Mark my words!

Off to Santa Monica this evening to see one of the lovely ladies I'm in a quartet with, perform at a local bar. Lacey's joining me. I'm looking forward to it! For once, I'm going out to support a female friend, rather than going out to potentially get laid. Nice change of pace...

2 comments:

  1. Fun!! I hope you get the reality show part!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting writing from mama.

    Hope SM was fun!

    ReplyDelete